This is where we keeping track of AnimeOwl development progress and history
For latest and fastest update, check out our discord
Started the project
August – End Phase 1
Finished Phase 1, concept formed, website is up and running with all the basic function. We started to publicly collect feedback and ideas to add to development plan.
September – Start Phase 2
Finalize ideas and begin Phase 2.
Phase 2 focused on improving all the functions on the website to gives users the best
experience on a streaming site:
– Mapping MyAnimeList data to all anime on-site: This aims to provide users more information while creating a strong base for future functions. (done)
– Watch history: Record and mark what episodes users watched. (done)
– Improve on-site search engine: Search is important and we want it to be as easy as possible for users. This update will include better keyword search (done), and additional filters/sort (pending).
– More quality option (done)
– Random anime generator: Random is fun and you can easily find something new and exciting with random function.
– Improve player’s functions: Auto-next, 15 secs forward and backwards, Screenshot, Keyboard Mapping, save setting after reload, next button, etc. (done)
-Auto Portrait mode on mobile
– Improve bookmark: New UI, Notification, Classification, etc.
– Expand our Library: We will find more anime sources for the site after we collect information from you guys about what we are missing via #anime_request.
– Renew comment section: Switch to a more anonymous and popular comment system
– Add Download button: Download is a loved feature but it does take a lot of server resources to do it, we have a few ideas in mind and we will try to make it real while keeping the site free.
– Add tags and have separate sections and filter for: Dub, Sub and Chinese
– Anime recommendation: The Next Big Things (list of recent new and hyped animes), Old but Gold (recommended old animes).
– Request and report button: This will lead users to Discord so you can communicate with us.
– Add related anime to cover pages: This will help you have a better understanding of watch order and what is related to each other.
January (estimated) – End Phase 2 – Start Phase 3
Finalize Phase 2, get feedback and
collect ideas for Phase 3. Phase 3’s purpose is to move to more advanced and unique
functions that many of you are waiting for.
– Link original content creator to stimulate community support toward them: We will try to find a data source and map it with our current data. (do suggest us a data source of original content creators if you know one, we need info like name, website, etc.)
– User stats: Total watch time, Total anime watched, badges, join date, titles, etc.
Considering ideas: (do help us contrubute more on
– Watch together – have fun together.
– Android, IOS app version of the site.
– Continue watching episode (with time stamp recorded).
– Account sync with MAL or SIMKL.
– Mirror domains for site backup
– Mini player.